Friday, September 12, 2008

Cloudy But Awaiting the Rainfall

Jeff

Jesus has continued to disrupt my definition of "normal" as I've walked with him through the years. I keep having to adapt and grow, always by stepping into uncomfortable, and even sometimes messy, places.

For those who are accustomed to comfort and complacency, I've heard that it can feel a bit like life as you know it coming to an utter ruin. I've even heard people use the word "wrecked" when referring to how God won them over to his agenda.

For the longest time, life was fuzzy for me - like trying to see the ground from an airplane that's flying through the clouds. Everything is translucent at best, and you struggled to understand where you are or even where you might be going. But anyone who understands the weather knows that clouds can only fill up with so much darkness, before the cleansing comes.

I myself was wrecked one day, driving home from work one summer, having spent the day in boredom at my telesales job trying to stay awake in between phone calls in which I asked people to take a general health survey, which I swore to them was for their own good.

On the drive, I was stopped at the railroad tracks, waiting for one of those interminable trains that always seem to take longer in the summer. As I was I was watching the train cars roll by, something caused me to think about life in general, about the mystery of time.

I guess it was just the movement of the train, but I was led into almost a trance, in which I had to face the unavoidable fact that life is, indeed, short, and that I had better make mine count for something.

I started reflecting on how I had spent the past weekend: getting drunk before 7pm, trying to "score" with the old homecoming chick who dumped me after one date, pulling off my belt and swinging it around my head like a sash, mooning my friends, and passing out on the couch. I had to have others help me remember certain pieces of the evening, but I do remember trying to "force" myself on that girl, and her rejecting my attempts.

Fortunately, in between her pushing me away and my calling her less-than-chivalrous names, I gave up, frustrated, and lost consciousness.

When I woke up that next morning, I couldn't face her or any of my friends. I was more ashamed than I had ever been before, because I thought that I could never do anything "that bad." Granted, I didn't have sex with her (or anyone up to that point in my life), but I knew that I probably would have if I hadn't passed out. It's a sickening feeling to realize that you're not good as you think. I came to grips with the fact that if I were left to my own devices, there was no level of depravity to which I would not sink.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Christi Bowman said...

He's doing something...waking people up...letting people see Him...He's coming back for us...He is turning His face towards us again.

People are talking like I have never heard them talk before...but it is something I have always wanted to hear. He's here and present in a way He hasn't been for a long time. God is showing Himself.

He gave me these:

Song of Songs 2:10-14 (MSG)
Get up, my dear friend,
fair and beautiful lover—come to me!
Look around you: Winter is over;
the winter rains are over, gone!
Spring flowers are in blossom all over.
The whole world's a choir—and singing!
Spring warblers are filling the forest
with sweet arpeggios.
Lilacs are exuberantly purple and perfumed,
and cherry trees fragrant with blossoms.
Oh, get up, dear friend,
my fair and beautiful lover—come to me!
Come, my shy and modest dove—
leave your seclusion, come out in the open.
Let me see your face,
let me hear your voice.
For your voice is soothing
and your face is ravishing.


Isaiah 12
1 And you will say in that day,
"I thank you, God.
You were angry
but your anger wasn't forever.
You withdrew your anger
and moved in and comforted me.

2"Yes, indeed—God is my salvation.
I trust, I won't be afraid.
God—yes God!—is my strength and song,
best of all, my salvation!"

3-4Joyfully you'll pull up buckets of water
from the wells of salvation.
And as you do it, you'll say,
"Give thanks to God.
Call out his name.
Ask him anything!
Shout to the nations, tell them what he's done,
spread the news of his great reputation!

5-6"Sing praise-songs to God. He's done it all!
Let the whole earth know what he's done!
Raise the roof! Sing your hearts out, O Zion!
The Greatest lives among you: The Holy of Israel."